1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPi + OpenELEC Cannot communicate between RPi and Arduino

Discussion in 'Software Support' started by ngng, 31 March 2017.

  1. ngng

    ngng New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    No resolution on my end.
     
  2. ngng

    ngng New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Any suggestions?
     
  3. penfold42

    penfold42 Moderator Developer

    Messages:
    750
    Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    I'm pretty sure you need adalight as the led type, not adalightapa102

    I'd also try changing the arduino sketch and Hyperion config to use 115200
     
  4. ngng

    ngng New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Some good news! The Arduino and Pi now talk to each other. Here's what I had to do:
    • Change device type from "adalightapa102" to "Adalight" in the Hyperion JSON config
    • LED_TYPE in sketch remains unchanged: APA102
    • Baudrate remains unchanged
    After getting everything to communicate I had another problem. Depending where you look, the APA102-C LED color order is documented differently. With a little debugging I found the correct color order and updated my sketch
    • Changed the color order on my sketch to BGR
    With those problems solved I ran into an issue where the LEDs would flicker with fast moving effects:


    I think I've reduced this by grounding the LED strip to the ground pin on the power side of the Arduino. I had previously grounded the LED strip on the other side.

    My HDMI to RCA adapter doesn't appear to be pulling a signal from my HDMI splitter. I think I have a defective adapter...but it could be an issue with the HDMI splitter and HDCP. I have a replacement HDMI to RCA adapter on the way.

    But, here's where I'm at today:
     
  5. ngng

    ngng New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    FINALLY! Turns out it was an issue with the HDMI + HDCP.