1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

direct HDMI -> USB UTV0007 grabber - anybody have experience with this?

Discussion in 'Hyperion Hardware' started by abrenoch, 12 January 2018.

1. Akriss

Akriss Active Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Sorry, I should have clarified.

Some hdmi2av converters I've purchased have the same exact problem. ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶.̶ I returned many due to the crop issue, till finding a good one that works ok. However I purchased a second from the same vendor and it was a bad one.

2. Rick164

Rick164 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi2, +Arduino, +AtmoOrb
  3. Akriss

Akriss Active Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    I've been buying from various Aliexpress sellers. I usually go for the least expensive stuff I can find.

UTV0007 (that state it actually has a UTV0007 chip) USB grabbers I have bought had all worked. I've ordered 10 from various sellers.

With hdmi2av converters, It's been hit or miss. With the average on the miss side.

4. Michael Leonardo

Michael Leonardo New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Just to update all, I've solved my cropping issue with the direct HDMI grabber (purchased the Nsendato version of aliexpress for $14). When I changed my hyperion config to PAL, it stopped cropping the right and bottom. It's almost perfect!

Here's the big issue and bc I do not understand the back feeding power concept, I wonder if my issue is due to this grabber. I've got the HDMI usb grabber plugged into my Pi (and to fast forward, now it's plugged into an external powered USB hub. My HDMI splitter is attached to the same power supply as my PI, the USB hub is on a different power source.

Without fail, watching the fire TV, every few min my playback pauses. I've pretty much isolated to the HDMI USB grabber. I'm fairly certain it's something to do with this back feed power issue? I think what's causing the playback to pause is either some surge or power overload with my splitter. The funny thing is that even with the splitter output going into my HDMI USB grabber, but not plugged into the USB hub, the video will still cut out occasionallly. This I don't understand but after reading some of these posts about the HDMI powering the grabber/Pi, maybe this is my issue.

Any ideas here on how to stop. I love the color over my HDMI2AV converters, but can't use this with constant pausing.

5. Michael Leonardo

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Anyone? Would love some ideas on how to prevent this HDMI grabber from pulling too much power from my splitter. An HDMI surge protector maybe? I've even tried the redmere one directional cable with no luck.

6. Michael Leonardo

Hardware:
    RPi3

Did you ever figure out the power backfeeding issue? It's driving me crazy and I really want to use this grabber but some sort of surge is constantly causing my fire TV to pause video playback. Again, I think it's something to do with my HDMI splitter power being surged, but it only happens when I use the HDMI grabber. The RCA/Composite grabber has no issue.

7. matthew henry

matthew henry New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    im using the same HDMI grabber and it works relatively well.

• Nice to have less wires
    • Have to put it in PAL format for there not to be a large cropping issues. Either way I lose a little bit on the top :-(
    • I wish the refresh rate was better......... I wouldnt really mind buying something better but the options are limited with USB 2.0
    • Honestly the backfeed problem only bothered me while I was still working with my config because it would keep my arduino on. Now I just ignore it
    • Mine gets kind of warm but not hot at all so im not sure why people say it is too hot. maybe mine is different.....

8. Michael Leonardo

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Can I ask what splitter you're using? My issue is that the direct HDMI grabber backfeeding causes my splitter to reset every 10 min, which in turn either pauses or restarts my fireTV, I believe because of some CEC signal or something. I do not have any issues with the HDMI2AV converter setup. It's only with this. I thought about trying an HDMI surge protector but I dont want to spend more money unless I hear of a similar setup/issue as mine.

9. matthew henry

matthew henry New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    im using the ezcoo splitter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YRDZKJ/ref=twister_B07M7TBDYN?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

but I hear it doesnt work with HDR or Dolby Vision. Fortunately for me my TV doesnt have either

10. TPmodding

TPmodding Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
  11. matthew henry

matthew henry New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    even with that piece I think the best you can do is 1080p at 30hz or 720p at 60.

I personally think the best best is to find a different board that works with hyperion AND takes a usb 3.0 connection.

There are a few usb 3.0 capture devices that are compatible with v4lc

12. TPmodding

TPmodding Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    @matthew henry yes, the hardware is limited to:
    • HDMI input: 1080p25 only (software limitation at this time

13. LunarBlue

LunarBlue Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero
    Looks like a handy device but sadly it does not support hdcp 1.4. I really would like to streamline my setup (HDFury -> HDMI2AV -> USBGrabber), any thoughts?

Last edited: 29 January 2019