1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPi + OpenELEC Need to add delay for synchronicity (because LEDs refresh before screen)

Discussion in 'Software Support' started by sejnub, 1 August 2016.

1. sejnub

sejnub New Member

Hello,
    I have hyperion running on openelec. If I don't activate smoothing (because I don't want smoothing) my LEDs update to a changing scene noticeable before the image on my screen. Looks like the TV is adding some delay.
    But I want the LEDs to be synchronous to the screen so I want to add some delay (my guess is: 100ms) to the LEDs. I didn't find this feature so I played around with the "smoothing" but this is tedious and not really what I want.

Is there a more direct way to add delay to the output to the LEDs?

2. Doc.Ex

Doc.Ex Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, +PhilipsHue
    Smoothing offers a delay option, you could try that. If you don't like the smoothing effect, just pick a low smoothing time and you won't really notice it.

3. sejnub

sejnub New Member

Thanks!
    I started trying that but as I said, it's tedious because some values cause hyperion to freeze. But if you say that this is the way to go I will give it another try.

4. Brindosch

Brindosch Active Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Hm, no smoothing but delay. Never tested this or which is the minimum until hyperion may run into issues (as no one tried it(?))
    Did you found a solution that fit your needs @sejnub

5. Doc.Ex

Doc.Ex Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, +PhilipsHue
    I used to have 40 ms smoothing (without delay), that worked fine for me. But I never tried how low you can go. 0ms doesn't really work, that I tried.

Anyway, 40ms is 25Hz so for PAL input this shouldn't make a huge difference, except that it also smoothes out colour misinterpretations, which is the main reason why I had it enabled.

6. sejnub

sejnub New Member

Thanks for your answer. I experimented a bit and got a setting that's ok for me. But it is still not really in sync. I just don't have the time just now to investigate it further. For the time beeing it will stay as it is.