1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HyperCon Would a USB to DMX converter and DMX lights be supported?

Discussion in 'Software Support' started by Bart Smits, 23 September 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

If I try to install the artnet-hyperion version on my Raspberry Pi 3 I get the following error:
    Code:
    [email protected]:~/hyperion.ng-artnet/bin $ sudo sh install_hyperion.sh
    *******************************************************************************
    This script will install/update Hyperion Ambient Light
    Created by brindosch - hyperion-project.org - the official Hyperion source.
    *******************************************************************************
    ---> Critical Error: CPU information does not match any known releases -> abort

I am using the latest raspbian image with all software and firmware updates installed.

---

I think I found the cause for the Error. In your version the raspis with the hardware code "BCM2835" won't be accepted. I compared yours with the hyperion-master and in the artnet branch this hardware version is missing.

I now just used the install-hyperion.sh from the hyperion.ng master built and the installation worked.

Last edited: 16 May 2017
  2. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

What do you mean with nonexistent config file?
    I tried to start the hyperion service with no (and an empty) config file and both times the service didn't start.

I can't access any website with the ip address of my raspi and port 8099 (with a config, with no config and with an empty config)

3. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
  4. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

When entering the following command "bin/hyperiond myconfig.json" I get this error message

Code:
    [email protected]:~/hyperion/build $ bin/hyperiond myconfig.json
    [hyperiond MAIN] <WARNING> Your configuration file does not exist. hyperion writes default config
    [hyperiond EFFECTENGINE] <WARNING> Effect path "../custom-effects" does not exist
    [hyperiond MAIN] <ERROR> Hyperion Daemon aborted:
      JSONSERVER ERROR: could not bind to port

And I can't access the webui because there is an hyperion logo and an error

"Error while validating json: {[root].command: Unknown enum value (allowed values are: ["color","image","effect","serverinfo","clear","clearall","transform","correction","temperature","adjustment"]}"

and the second error which appers about two seconds after the first one

"Error while validating json: {[root].tan: no schema definition}"

If I erase the loading overlay via the Google Chrome dev-console and click "ok" on the second error, it appears again and again.

Last edited: 17 May 2017
  5. penfold42

Hardware:
    You have another hyperiond running - kill it

6. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Ok got it :D

7. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Is there a way to test if hyperion gets any information from the grabber with this new interface.
    Till now the light won't light show any color. (IP and Port are set correctly. I tested the DMX Light with the software of the interface.)

8. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

It seems to work basically for now. But every time I have to restart hyperion because I changed something in the config it is not restarting automatically so I have to do it manually.
    Code:
          *      hyperion will restart now          *

[hyperiond EFFECTENGINE] <WARNING> Effect path "../custom-effects" does not exist
    * failed to open vchiq instance

The biggest question now is how do I combine my ws2801 leds on my monitor with the artnet lights? Do I have to run two instances of hyperion or is there a way where I just have to change some lines in the config file?

Can you maybe add the feature to manually change the dmx channels for the different colors per light? It would be very useful because not all lights of all manufacturers have 3-Channel-DMX (like mine) and the same order of dmx channels.
    For example:

Artnet-Light 1:
    R: Channel 1
    G: Channel 2
    B: Channel 3

Artnet-Light 2:
    R: Channel 6
    G: Channel 7
    B: Channel 8

(...)

Last edited: 17 May 2017
  9. penfold42

Hardware:
    Cool !

The bug on restart I've seen - it needs fixing but is unrelated to artnet.

Would a "channels per fixture" setting fix the issue where you want to skip channels between fixtures ?

Right now it's effectively 3 but we could add it easily

10. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Yes this would be great!

Can you increase the amount of addressable lights too? Maybe from two to four (or eight) so that people have a little bit more freedom to play around with their lights.

Do you know if hyperion uses 8-bit or 16-bit colors if it controls just normal led strips? If it sends 16-bit color codes it would be another awesome feature if you could choose between 8-bit (RGB) and 16-bit (RRGGBB) :)

11. penfold42

Hardware:
    There's almost no limit to the number of lights.
    Whilst there are 512 dmx channels in a universe, Hyperion will split the data across multiple consecutive universes.

Hyperion uses 8bit per colour internally and it's not likely to change any time soon

I'll add the channel skipping tonight if I get time

12. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Can you also try to add an option where you can select the channel you want hyperion to stop sending data to a universe? :)
    For example I just want to use two lights of a total of four lights (all in the same universe) as additional lights for the ambilight.
    Without this option hyperion would force me to use all my lights in the specific universe as lights controlled by hyperion.

13. penfold42

Hardware:
    Could you configure only 2 lights in the Hyperion instance that's doing artnet ?

I only send the number of lights defined in Hyperion

14. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Sure that's possible.

15. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Do you already have made a new version that I can test? :)

Last edited: 20 May 2017
  16. penfold42

Hardware:
    I do (nearly) it took longer than I expected cos I had rethink the whole loop iterations.

How well do you know dmx and it's use in the real world with real fixtures ? (I don't )

Let's say each fixture needs 7 channels with RGB as the 1st 3 channels.
    is padding the rest with zeros normally safe ?
    what should I do if there are 80 fixtures ? Should I simply continue the channels on to the next universe ?
    Should I force it so fixtures are not split across universes ?

My previous dmx support has only cared about the espixel stick which doesn't care about these subtleties

17. penfold42

Hardware:
    I just pushed some commits for testing.

There's a new option for channels per fixture

18. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

I'm no professional in use with DMX. I'm just using it at home with some fixtures so I know the basics but not how it is exactly used in the "real world".
    That depends on the DMX mode and what funcitions are supported. If a channel is assigned for dimming the light then your light would never light up because the dimmer says that the brightness is set to zero percent. So in my opinion the optimal solution would be ignoring these channels and send nothing if possible.
    I am just using one universe so it's kind of hard to say what would be better. :D

19. Chris/si

Chris/si Member

Do I have to compile the whole thing again or can I just replace the folder with the new files?

20. penfold42

Hardware:
    You should be able to use got to pull in the latest changes
    https://git-scm.com/docs/git-pull

Then go back to the build directory and rerun "make"

Both should be pretty quick cos they're both smart