1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPi + Other Software Ambilight with RPi4, hdmi grabber and Denon AV-reciever

Discussion in 'Hardware Support' started by u20p17, 7 April 2020.

1. Swatmorpheus

Swatmorpheus New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3, 32/64bit, iMX6, +Arduino, +PhilipsHue, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    here it is in English
    I do not think I have read this solution but can be tested so as not to depend on a splitter which will downscale the 2 outputs of the amplifier splitter or if we do not use the amplifier the splitter and have SDR for the grabber and HDR to the TV since it is the outputs that balance with the lowest output .
    Source-> amplifier | -> SDR splitter -> grabber -> PI
    | -> TV
    Source-> 4k HDR splitter | -> SDR splitter-> grabber -> PI
    | -> TV
    With this configuration we would keep the HDR 4k HDCP2.2 etc outputs to the TV and to the pi we would have a downscalle to SDR before the grabber? what do you think ??

• Like Like x 1
  2. Infest

Infest New Member

@Puck Have you tried if Dolby Vision is working? Since I saw from your EDID Emulator your TV should do DV. What does the "HDMI Information" say now, with the cheap Videograbber attached?

3. Puck

Puck Member

My TV does DV, but is limited to 30Hz for DV over HDMI (don't ask me why) so I never really use it on my Shield. If I really want DV I use the app on the TV which means I can't use Ambilight anyway. But to answer your question: I have not tested DV material. The grabber shows up as support for HDR10/HLG only, so no DV. Might work with the EDID Emulator in between, but again, I have not tested this and am not using this right now.

I can do a quick test later today or tomorrow if you want :)

4. Infest

Infest New Member

Yes, my TV with Shield TV is limited the same. But since Netflix provides DV just with 24Hz it doesn't matter. Still, I want to get Ambilight working there as well, so I would really appreciate if you could test it in the coming days :) So far it seems to me that this could be a much cheaper way to get HDR/DV done in comparison to buying the HDFury Diva.
    There will be still the problem with the settings on RaspPi/Hyperion for changing to HDR/DV, but this is a problem for later :D

5. Puck

Puck Member

Yes I know, but I just don't like switching refresh rates all the time, and prefer the smooth interface in 60Hz. I tried to do this automatically through an app but this particular use-case doesn't see to be supported. I still need to investigate switching to 30Hz automatically based on app usage.

I use the HyperHDR fork and Home Assistant (see signature) to automatically turn on tone-mapping when my receiver sees it's outputting HDR. Works perfectly!

I will do a small test to see if I can get DV content to work this weekend and will report back :)

Last edited: 14 November 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Puck

Puck Member

@Infest Just tested this for you: I am able to trick the receiver easily into thinking the grabber supports Dolby Vision and it actually picks up a signal, just not a signal that is very useful. All colors are pink/purple/greenish. Not sure if there is a way to fix this with this particular grabber.

I guess you would need a grabber that specifically supports DV. Not sure if (cheap ones) exist.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 November 2020
  7. Puck

Puck Member

Very late response to this, but I found out this particular grabber is actually indeed a USB 2.0 device falsly marketed as USB 3.0 (with even the blue USB connector). So yeah, you where right. I can't be bothered too much with it, because it does fully work for all my needs.