1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED AtmoOrb - LEDs Light but Can't be Controlled via UDP

Discussion in 'Hardware Support' started by RedStep, 4 June 2016.

1. RedStep

RedStep New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, RPi3
    Cross-posting from the MediaPortal forum since my post has been awaiting approval for a few hours. Sorry!

The AtmoOrb tutorial is great, but I'm having trouble getting it set up - I have the Photon and the NeoPixel Ring plugged in and the sketch uploaded (sketch is below), but can't get a response from the lights.

When I power up it breaths cyan but that's it - neither the AtmoOrb app, Hyperion, or MediaPortal can get any change. I switched Rings and got the same thing, so I'm assuming I'm missing something with the software side. I have FastLED 3.1.5 and it all compiles/flashes without any errors.

Uploading a simple NeoPixel sketch with a rainbow cycle works just fine, so the LEDs seem to be addressing okay. Maybe it's a UDP/Multicast issue? I left all values as default but haven't used Multicast before. I'm using an R7000 router which apparently works well with Multicast. Any help is appreciated!

2. RedStep

RedStep New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, RPi3
    I was able to get the Orb working but only if it's in the primary Hyperion instance - I still have the problem of Hyperion starting before the USB grabber so the primary instance crashes. I have to run it manually, after which it works. However, having the Orb on Instance 2 and then starting Instance 1 to forward the screengrab doesn't seem to work. When I switched the Orb to Instance 1, it works perfectly.

Could there be something about the UDP transmission that doesn't initialize if it doesn't have the feed from the primary instance running first? I can move the WS2801 to the secondary instance if so, the WS2812B worked there. Thanks!

3. TPmodding

TPmodding Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Could you upload both hyperion config files please?

4. RedStep

RedStep New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, RPi3
    Of course.

Primary (this one crashes out during startup so I have to start it manually via SSH)

Secondary

For good measure, here are the logs as well.

Primary

Secondary

Details...

Last edited: 4 June 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TPmodding

TPmodding Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    You posted twice the same config :)

edit: Configs looks good, may @Rick164 can help you :/

Last edited: 4 June 2016
  6. Rick164

Rick164 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi2, +Arduino, +AtmoOrb
    Port looks incorrect in the Hyperion Orb config, 64700 should be 49692 :)
    Might be HyperCon snafu as it can reset there sometimes.

7. Brindosch

Brindosch Active Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Not sure from which device the given port should come from. Should be no issue of HyperCon?

8. Rick164

Hardware:
    RPi2, +Arduino, +AtmoOrb
    Noticed it previously when setting up with HyperCon1.0.2 I believe, it got reset at some point to another default value just not sure why.

9. Brindosch

Brindosch Active Member

Hardware:
    HyperCon is a real mess @k0re wanted to refactor it and add some other things ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. RedStep

RedStep New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, RPi3
    I manually set the IP to 239.15.18.3 and the port to 64700 just to rule out an IP or port conflict. It successfully connects on the primary instance, just not the secondary. Today I'm going to try reversing with the WS2801 to see if that works. Thank you for your help!

11. RedStep

RedStep New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, RPi3
    I played with this more and can confirm that moving the AtmoOrb to Instance 1 (with forwarding) and WS2801 to Instance 2 works just fine. All I did was switch the devices/LED configs and they lit right up, no idea why there would be a difference. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rick164

Hardware:
    RPi2, +Arduino, +AtmoOrb
    Yeah should be no difference in the order but could have been that a Hyperiond process was still running the background conflicting with the other instance :)

13. Brindosch

Brindosch Active Member

Hardware:
    This is a good hint, as long we can´t really control this (on oe/le/rp). Or we mod the autostart.sh with a check against running process to prevent double execution.